He's known affectionately as the Gentle Giant, and Don Williams' music still looms large.
Just ask Miranda Lambert, Dierks Bentley, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Brandy Clark, Lady Antebellum or Chris and Morgane Stapleton, to name a few. Each contributed their talents to Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams, which was released last Friday (5/26) on Slate Creek Records.
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams is now available. Featuring Pistol Annies singing "Tulsa Time" https://t.co/Yryx8jlb0y
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams Track Listing
1. "Tulsa Time," Pistol Annies
2. "I Believe in You," Brandy Clark
3. "We've Got a Good Fire Goin,'" Lady Antebellum
4. "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend," Dierks Bentley
5. "Amanda," Chris Stapleton ft. Morgane Stapleton
6. "Till The Rivers All Run Dry," Alison Krauss
7. "Love Is On A Roll," John Prine ft. Roger Cook
8. "If I Needed You," Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires
9. "Maggie's Dream," Trisha Yearwood
10. "Lord I Hope This Day is Good," Keb' Mo'
11. "Good Ole Boys Like Me," Garth Brooks
Williams, a Country Music Hall of Famer whose popular nickname was inspired by his 6-foot 1-inch frame and smooth baritone, announced his retirement from performing in 2016. The move wrapped a five-decade career during which he charted 56 records and scored at least one major hit every year between 1974 and 1991, including 17 No. 1s, according to the publicist for the project.
The coolest part of all may be that each artist's contributions were generously donated in support of MusiCares, the charitable foundation created by The Recording Academy that provides critical assistance for those in the music field in times of need.
Teddy McDonald is a fun-lovin' country music fan man living in Nashville, Tennessee.